I'm looking for a check-in partner

A place for people working on their own addiction to post and share support, encouragement and recovery strategies. Partners of Addicts are strongly urged not to post on this forum.

Re: I'm looking for a check-in partner

Postby AS on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am

It's pretty straightforward I'm afraid, any social media platform is a minefield of distraction. It's too random to be able to avoid triggers popping into view leading one astray. I finally succumbed to joining the most popular one after years of resisting. Was just the disaster for me that I was dreading. Initially I stupidly trawled profiles for people I used to know decades back. Of course this sent me into a tailspin of self hate when I saw how much others had seemingly achieved while I was busy going nowhere. The platform cleverly worked out my weak spots and tailored it's suggestions me. Most of them triggers. I stay away as much as I can now.
AS

Postby AS on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:44 am

I feel I should add this was just my initial experience. There are positives of course - in time it has forced me to reconnect with some relatives who I'd been shamefully avoiding. That has helped in a few recent cases (sadly bereavements mostly), but generally for me the risks are too great and I find all the updates and notifications too distracting. Again it's not completely their fault, more my own lack of self control.
AS

Postby Romans613 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 pm

I understand, as. Thanks for sharing.
I've slipped again. I've been stressed and not feeling good. My time with my wife has not been the best either. Wonder why?! :roll:
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people." Ephesians 5:3
Romans613
Tribal Elder

Postby AS on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Know what you mean. It can be self perpetuating. Getting down, seeking the wrong kind of release then feeling bad. Awful when close relationships affected too. Don't beat yourself up. Think of ways to break the cycle. What's the real root of the problem (I'm half asking myself this...).
AS

Postby Romans613 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm struggling and could use some prayer.
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people." Ephesians 5:3
Romans613
Tribal Elder

Postby AS on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Praying for you mate.
I always seem to feel under enormous pressure this time of year. It never helps to get in too much of a state over it.
Be strong bro.
AS

Postby Romans613 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm checking in clean and sober.
I'm feeling good but apprehensive(?).
I'm watching where I walk. (there is a good article on desiringgod.com about this)

Romans613
Tribal Elder

Postby Romans613 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:49 pm

I'm doing good.
I recently found a devotional/ bible study that has been helpful.
I hope everyone is doing well.

Romans613
Tribal Elder

Previous

Return to Recovering From Addiction